There is an answer thousands of men and women are turning to BHRT (Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy) to eliminate the symptoms above often experienced in periminpause, menopause, or male andropause.
What is BioIdentical Hormone Therapy?
Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is a philosophy or approach to hormone replacement that satisfies 3 key principles:
1. All hormones used are chemically identical to human hormones. Bioidentical hormones are derived from natural sources and then modified in the lab to become identical to human hormones. The image below provides an example of “biologically identical” progesterone versus synthetic, non-identical medroxyprogesterone (Provera). In bioidentical hormone replacement, only progesterone is given since it is exactly the same as what the body produces. This kind of hormone replacement therapy allows for more predictable activity on human cells and more predictable metabolism of the hormones.
2. The dosage is individualized to a patient’s specific hormonal needs. Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy requires testing to determine an individual’s baseline hormone levels and rigorous symptom evaluation to create a customized dosage based on the individual’s particular hormone needs.
3. The goal is to achieve a balance of activities of the hormones to improve quality of life and prevent disease. All the hormones work together in concert in the body, so optimizing the activity of one hormone enhances the effects of others, and vice versa. Balance is probably the most important concept in bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. The human body is incredibly complex and intricate, and the purpose of treatment is not to override the body’s innate intelligence, but to facilitate it, restoring balance and improving quality of life.
What Hormones are used?
Testosterone is vital to the health and well-being of BOTH men and women. Testosterone in men is mainly produced by the testicles and in smaller quantities by the adrenal glands. In women, testosterone is produced in both the ovaries and the adrenal glands. Testosterone contributes to muscle mass, strength and endurance, decreased fat, increased exercise tolerance, enhancement of the sense of well-being and psychological health. Testosterone protects against cardiovascular disease and reduces blood sugar. It leads to improved lean muscle mass, increased bone density, decrease in cholesterol, improved skin tone, improved healing capacity, and increased libido and sexual performance. It enhances the quality of life for both men and women by decreasing the diseases of aging. Cells that require Estrogen use Testosterone to manufacture Estrogen inside the cell by a chemical conversion that uses an enzyme called Aromatase. Testosterone is present and extremely important in both Women and Men, making adequate tissue levels very important for health in both sexes. (It goes without saying that women require substantially less of it!)
Estrogen refers to a group of similar hormones produced in the body. Like testosterone, Estrogen is a required hormone for the health of BOTH men and women. The main three are estrone (E1), estradiol (E2), and estriol (E3). Estrogens are protective against heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, and memory disorders. It also protects against vaginal atrophy, urinary incontinence, and prevents symptoms of menopause, including poor temperature regulation AKA “Hot Flashes”, and improves balance. Estrogen deficiency is linked to: urogenital atrophy, incontinence, increased skin wrinkles of the face, fatigue, depression, mood swings and decreased libido. However, the vast majority of women we treat need only testosterone pellets (see above) as their body, like men’s, makes all the intracellular estrogen it needs from testosterone, thus avoiding the serious problems that can occur with high circulating estrogen levels in the blood. While estrogen supplementation is rarely necessary, it is important that any estrogen prescribed be a Bioidentical estrogen instead of a non-human estrogen. The non-bio-identical synthetic estrogens bind nearly 20 times stronger to your cells’ receptors and have been proven to be harmful.
Progesterone is primarily produced in the ovary just prior to and after ovulation. It is also produced in large quantities by the placenta during pregnancy and in small quantities by the adrenal glands. If you are on bio-identical estrogen, it is likely you will need progesterone as well. Progesterone protects against uterine and breast cancers, fibrocystic disease and ovarian cysts. Unfortunately, most U.S. women are prescribed a synthetic horse derived progestin (Provera) which can cause side effects such as bloating, headaches, fatigue, weight gain, and heart disease. Bioidentical progesterone does not have these side effects.
If you have been suffering with symptoms that interfere with daily life meet with our board certified physician Dr. David Alfieri who will assess you individually and work with you to develop a treatment plan that will leave you feeling revitalized and youthful.
Are you one of thousands
of men and women who are suffering from?
• Low Sex Drive and Libido?
• Sexual Dysfunction?
• Headaches and Mirgraines?
• Hot Flashes?
• Mood and Depression?
• Joint Aches and Pains?
• Stubborn Belly Fat?
• Brain Fog and Memory Loss?
• Weight Gain and Muscle Loss
• Fatigue and Sleeping Difficulty?
Florida Rejuvenation Center