It’s History, Development & Application
By Susan Allen, Certified Lymphatic Therapist
Electro-Lymphatic Decongestive Therapy is a gentle, light touch non-invasive technique that opens up the lymphatic pathways all over your body to ensure that all toxins are readily expedited out of your system. When implementing this type of therapy, you can achieve better absorption of nutriceuticals and medications, which will decrease the dosages needed. This type of lymphatic therapy (electro-lymphatic therapy with the Rightway XP2 machine) is much more effective than manual therapy. This technique can also provide relief from chronic inflammation and pre and post-surgical applications.
The Lymphatic System
The physiology and physiopathology of the lymphatic system was slowly unraveled over time by a group of scientists interested in this mysterious fluid. While medical schools only provide very basic training concerning this body system, the critical function of the lymphatic system is now more readily acknowledged as a means to improve our overall health and well-being. The lymphatic system absorbs fluid, macromolecules, microorganisms, toxins, waste products and foreign substances from the interstitial tissue. Numerous substances (electrolytes, proteins, hormones, toxins, debris) and immune-competent cells (lymphocytes, macrophages) pass through the regional lymph nodes where this fluid is filtered, purified and concentrated.
The lymphatic flow can stagnate for many reasons, such as chronic inflammation, lack of physical activity, stress, fatigue, emotional shock, age, and poorly fitted under garments worn for an excessive amount of time. When lymphatic circulation slows down, the regeneration of cells becomes less effective. This condition allows toxins and proteins to accumulate around the cells, causing cellular oxygenation to decrease and tissue regeneration to diminish.
Electro-lymphatic decongestive therapy can facilitate nature by stimulating the natural peristaltic contractions of the layers of muscles located along the lymphatic pathways. Stagnating fluids, toxins and wastes will be drained through the flow of lymph; therefore this type of circulation will accelerate all healing processes from the deep to the superficial lymphatic system.
Applications for Electro-Lymphatic Therapy (XP-2)
The applications of Lymphatic Decongestive Therapy are numerous!
• It activates the circulation of not only the lymph, but also indirectly the blood capillaries, veins, interstitial fluids, cerebrospinal and synovial fluids. This action helps to reroute stagnant fluid in the skin (edema, primary and secondary lymphedema), mucosa, muscles, viscera, joints, cranial sutures, perosteum, chambers of the eyes and cochlea.
• Toxins are removed, making lymphatic drainage especially effective in tissue regeneration. Scars, stretch marks, wrinkles and surgical-incision sites are improved.
• Fats are evacuated through lymphatic vessels. These vessels are located in virtually every area of the body where fats may accumulate.
• The functioning of the immune system is stimulated through increased lymph flow. The additional flow carries more antigens to the lymph nodes, thereby increasing antibody/antigen contact. This has been found to help with chronic or sub-acute inflammatory processes such as chronic fatigue syndrome, autoimmune disease, bronchitis, sinusitis, amygdalitis, tonsillitis, laryngitis, arthritis, acne and eczema.
• The function of the parasympathetic system is bolstered and sympathetic tone is diminished with stimulation of the lymphatics – the “fight or flight” response. This can be very helpful in dealing with stress, depression and sleep disorders.
• Chronic pain is reduced as the drainage alleviates tissue-fluid stagnation and possibly inhibits pain receptors.
• Voluntary and involuntary muscle spasms are reduced, providing helpful in cases of constipation and other muscle-related maladies.
Contraindications of Electro-Lymphatic Therapy
• Individuals with pacemakers, decreased kidney function, and pregnant women cannot receive electro-lymphatic therapy; however they can receive manual lymphatic therapy.
• Persons with known thrombosis cannot receive electro-lymphatic therapy as it might dislodge a blood clot.
• Persons with a history of epileptic seizures must obtain written permission from their M.D. prior to receiving this therapy.
• Individuals undergoing chemotherapy or immune-suppression therapy must wait 48 hours before or after their therapy to have an electro-lymphatic treatment. At the beginning of the 20th century, people were afraid of the possibility
of provoking metastasis in cancer that was either evolving or not under medical supervision. A few studies have been made comparing control groups of cancer patients treated with lymph drainage vs. untreated patients. The results showed no increase in complications or metastasis in the treated group. At this time, no rigorous scientific study has demonstrated that the spread or severity of cancer was aggravated by lymph drainage. This notion is also shared by consensus of the International Society of Lymphology (1995).
The Science Behind the XP-2 Machine
In the 1940’s Edgar Cayce developed an inert gas ionization instrument (IGII) known as the Violet Ray using the ionization of the inert gas Argon. Edgar’s instrument used a coil invented by Nicola Tesla (Tesla Coil) to produce a safe high-voltage electrostatic discharge (without the dangerous current) producing enough voltage to ionize the argon in a glass tube. Edgar’s Violet Ray attributed many health benefits to his device and the Violet Ray is still in use and manufactured today.
In the late 80’s and 90’s, many newer refinements were made with this IGII technology by adding other inert gasses and changing the broadcast function of the circuitry used to drive the Tesla coil. In the years to follow many variations of the IGII have appeared on the market – all of which showing conclusive results with increasing the lymphatic flow, especially with the adaptation of lymphatic decongestive therapy.
In 2007, Rightway Enterprises LLC, manufacturer of the Lymph Drainage XP family of instruments, contracted Sky-David (a biologist, PhD in Physical Therapy, and who has been involved in the technology for over 30 years) to develop a newer and more advanced version of the existing technology. As part of the criteria, and based on Sky’s ongoing research in this photobiology field, Rightway focused on the use of Xenon, Argon and Krypton for the inert gases used in the transmission heads and tested several pressure variations within the glass bulb for maximum delivery and biological compatibility. This complex circuitry scheme is responsible for the overall effectiveness of the ability to move stagnate or fibrotic lymph in the lymph system without overstressing the lymph vessels. Radiant energy is given off through a combination of light, sound vibrations and through the flow of electrons (also known as ionization) which is discharged through the body tissue and lymph. The effect created by the light & sound vibration, and flow of electrons as they are ionized through the transmission head, cause a disassociation of the trapped proteins within the interstitium. Trapped proteins in the interstitium hold water and cause swelling and blockage as the thread-like vessels swell beyond their capacity and can no longer effectively pass along through the lymphatic system. Trapped proteins (not to be confused with nutrient proteins) are highly electrical in nature and when they are exposed to the discharging ions in the transmission head, they become disassociated and release their bond between themselves thereby releasing the stagnate lymph. This allows the lymph vessels to release the excess, blocked, stagnate or retained fluid and to flow out into its normal filtration and reabsorption channels.
As you can see the use of the XP-2, with the proper lymphatic decongestive therapy techniques, can provide results far beyond that of manual lymph manipulation or use of tight fitting garments by addressing the trapped and sticky proteins directly.
At HoriZen Therapies, we are focused on your well being! Our goal is to provide the latest, most effective and valued healing therapies to our clients, and assist them in their quest for optimum health and wellness. Along with LDT (Lymphatic Decongestive Therapy), we also offer UltraSlim Fat Melting/Skin Tightening Therapy and Hoshino Massage Therapy.
2799 N.W. Boca Raton Blvd., Ste. H-201
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Electro-Lymphatic Decongestive Therapy…
It’s History, Development & Application